World map with pin points. They are all connected.

For all applicants coming from abroad, or who have lived overseas for a period of 6 months or more in the last 5 years, schools are advised to request an overseas check. A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check can only check records within the UK, so it’s an important step of the pre-employment checks to obtain this.

The applicant is responsible for obtaining a certificate of good conduct, and further details on how this can be obtained can be found on GOV.UK’s Criminal Records Guidance.

All overseas checks should then be produced. If not in English, a translation should be requested, and a copy taken, recorded on the single central record and stored for the duration of the employment.

The Department for Education has also issued guidance on the employment of overseas-trained teachers.

This gives information on the requirements for overseas-trained teachers from the European Economic Area to teach in England, and the award of qualified teacher status for teachers qualified in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America.